Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The mornings.

The wind ripped and roared as I drove down HWY 1, causing my car to sometimes slide out of my lane. Luckily, I was able to maintain control of the 1984 300 TD Mercedes and I drove off to school. The morning spring sunshine started to warm the day and if you looked to your right you would see the pacific ocean, with waves rolling because of the wind and the pale blue sky kissing the horizon. The oil tankers are the only thing that kills the illusion that the world could just go on forever and ever.

I keep driving down the highway at a steady pace of 70 MPH on he 65. There are a few cars on the road and the most of them are passing me. I keep going up the hills, and down the hills, my view of the ocean rising and falling, like the waves. I see a hawk in the sky, catching the early morning heat and going higher, and higher. The two lane highway continues to go on and on, and I am not ont eh road driving, my body is on autopilot, I have done this millions fo times before.

My mind thinks. The morning poems and songs creep into my head, the newest additions to a vast collection of nothingness. I never write down what goes in my head, I am top busy.

"Ohh, I see what i see/ I know what I know/ I feel the day will go on forever/ I just want a breeze to blow/ and take me away to the heavens above/ to take me to the peacemaker/"

crap really, nothing that matters. But I drive, and drive and eventually the pacific ocean disappears, and I start driving inland, into the city of Santa Barbara. But I do not notice the city at all. There is nothing to notice anymore. Spanish tiles? check. Houses on the hills? check. In and Out Burger? Check.

I drive and drive until I find my Castillo exit and turn right, and right. I go up a small hill and see the pacific ocean again! I drive straight through the light and find the parking lot next to the baseball diamond. Free parking!

I park and without even thinking start my journey up the stairs and through the forest to the campus...

The world is so invisible. The next thing I know I am sitting down in a classroom, forty miles away from my bed. How did I end up here?

No comments:

Post a Comment